Some people believe that estate planning is only for the wealthiest of families. The truth is, virtually everyone can benefit from having an estate plan of their own, and having it prepared by an attorney who focuses on this area of the law.
One reason is that without your own plan, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts will control how your assets are distributed after you pass away. The Commonwealth will simply follow established guidelines for asset distribution, and it is not at all interested in making sure your wishes are carried out, streamlining the process, or minimizing costs.
Another reason to have your own estate plan is to ensure that a person of your own choosing can make medical and financial decisions for you in the event of incapacity. Without an estate plan, someone will need to petition the court to control your medical care and assets—this can be a lengthy and expensive process and may end up being undertaken by someone you might not want to make these decisions for you.
This is just part of what an estate plan can help you accomplish. Depending on your particular needs and goals, we can design a plan that:
- Helps assure the continuance of surviving family members’ lifestyle and the protection of assets
- Passes your values, work ethic, and a sense of responsibility to heirs
- Substantially reduces income, excise, gift, estate, and generation skipping taxes
- Keeps your financial affairs and family matters private
- Protects your heirs’ inheritances if they become divorced, remarry or fall under the influence of predators
- Helps you leave a lasting legacy and impact on society
- Provides you with greater peace of mind knowing that you have a plan in place for the future
Accomplishing goals like these is not simply a matter of properly filling out various legal forms. It is about close collaboration between client and attorney. We will take the time to gain a thorough understanding of your concerns, goals, and hopes for the future. Only then will we design and implement a customized plan capable of addressing every single one of them.
We will also be there to help you make sure that your assets are aligned with your estate plan. We believe “funding” your estate plan is crucial. This is why we work closely with you to help you make sure that assets are titled so that they work with your estate planning goals.
We will also make ourselves readily available to maintain your plan over time, so that it takes into account changes in your personal relationships, financial situation, and health, as well as those of the people you love.
We invite you to contact us today to schedule a personal meeting.